Monday, May 2, 2011

Okay... He's dead... So?

Osama Bin Laden is dead.

I guess you would expect this to be a celabatory post since I am American and he was the one behind the terrorist attacks on this country and the twin tower fiasco. However, as strange as it may seem, I'm not excited. I saw all the posts about it via facebook, since I don't have a TV in my dorm, and I didn't feel what the others seemed to feel about it.

Today, I read a blog post from one of my favorite teachers from high school. In it, he talked about his mixed feelings on the suject. Like most of the things he says, it made sense. Though, where part of him wanted to celebrate a little, I simply didn't see the reason too. Though, Osama was a terrorist and who we've been fighting for years now, he was still a person, and, therefore, one of God's creations.

I don't feel a sense of pride at his death. I don't feel excitement or great joy. Though, I sure don't feel greif or sorrow either. I simply feel... neutral, I guess. I almost want to say,

"So what?"

I mean, yeah, he's dead. He can't wreak havoc on us anymore. But what happens now? Our troops are still over there. They are still fighting. The war is far from over.

What of Osama's followers? What of others like him? Has this been a victory? Or something that will lead to more havoc? Doesn't hatred and violence just produce more hatered and violence? I almost fear for what will happen next, what reprecussions will blow back on us... on our troops.

No comments:

Post a Comment